August was a very busy month. Jill and I spent several days at the Iowa State Fair with some very wonderful and talented hometown bakers.
The Two Chicks from the Sticks had the honor of judging four baking contests, conducting three demonstrations and tasting a number of delicious blue ribbon winning entries. Our favorite take away from this year’s Iowa State Fair is not what we did, but what our Two Chicks fans accomplished.
Several of our Two Chicks friends and Facebook followers entered various food competitions using recipes from our book, Two Chicks from the Sticks: Back Home Baking. During the five days we spent in the Elwell Building we had several people approach us to say they had entered one of our recipes at the fair.
Among the winners were the Chocolate Angel Food Cake (baked in a square pan), Raisin Big Softies, Zucchini Pie (twice), Orange Rolls, and the big winner is………. Chocolate Cream Pie. Mindy Paulson, from Pie on Sunday blog, won 1st place in the one-crust cream pie class with our version of Chocolate Cream Pie.
Mindy followed the recipe on our blog and added a couple nice touches; she piped the whipped cream on the top and garnished it with Hershey’s Chocolate shavings. Way to go Mindy!!
Congratulations to all the winners at this year’s Iowa State Fair! We can’t wait to see what you’re going to do next year.
Your favorite Chick from the South – Jamie
*Note the words in italics. They represent corrections to the recipe in the book.
Chocolate Whipped Cream Pie
1 9-inch crust, baked and cooled
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cocoa
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 cups milk
3 beaten egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate shavings, optional
1. To prepare whipped cream, in a chilled mixing bowl, beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until cream holds soft peaks. Be careful not to over beat whipped cream, as it can quickly become curdled. Place whipped cream in the refrigerator until needed.
2. To prepare filling, in a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Mix well. Gradually add milk and semisweet chocolate, whisking until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture starts to thicken and bubble. Immediately remove pan from heat and set aside.
3. Place egg yolks in a small glass bowl; slowly stir in ½ cup of hot mixture. Slowly stir in another ½ cup of hot mixture to egg yolks. Add egg mixture to milk mixture in the hot saucepan. Return saucepan to stove. Stirring constantly, cook over low/medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
4. Transfer pudding to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; cool in refrigerator. Once the mixture is cool, remove whipped cream from the refrigerator and gently fold in ¾ cup of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Pour chocolate mixture into pie shell and spread evenly
5. Top chocolate mixture with remaining whipped cream and if desired, chocolate shavings. Refrigerate pie until serving time.
Makes: 6 to 8 servings