January 24th was National Peanut Butter Day, so I decided to take one of America’s favorite peanut butter treats and combine it with one of the Two Chicks favorite chocolate cake recipes. The final result – Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup & Chocolate Cupcakes.
I topped the cupcakes with my favorite frosting, peanut butter frosting, and a handful of chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Needless to say, the cupcakes were a hit with everyone who ate them. I did make a few “plain” chocolate cupcakes, but they languished behind as everyone selected the Reese’s cupcakes first.
Your favorite Chick from the South – Jamie
- light brown sugar - 3 cups
- butter - 1 cup, room temp
- eggs - 4
- vanilla extract - 2 teaspoons
- cake flour - 2-2/3 cups
- cocoa - 1/2 cup, unsweetened, high quality such as Ghirardelli preferred
- baking soda - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- sour cream - 1-1/2 cups
- boiling water - 1-1/2 cups
- flour - 1 tablespoon, all-purpose
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - 1 bag — 12 oz.
- butter - 6 tablespoons
- creamy peanut butter - 1/2 cup
- powdered sugar - 4 cups
- salt - a dash
- heavy cream or milk - 6 tablespoons
- Preheat oven 350⁰F.
- Line 4 dozen muffin pans with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
- Unwrap the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and chop them into six to eight pieces each. In a small bowl combine half of the chopped peanut butter cups with the 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine brown sugar and butter. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream and boiling water. Mix well. Batter will be thin and runny.
- Pour batter evenly among the cupcake pans. Distribute the floured peanut butter cups among the filled cupcake pans. Take a knife and gently submerge the peanut butter cups into the batter. (Do not push them all the way to the bottom.)
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
To prepare frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the salt. Beat in the powdered sugar and heavy cream alternating between the two until well combined.
Frost the cupcakes with the prepared frosting and top with remaining chopped peanut butter cups.
Makes: About 4 dozen cupcakes