For those of you looking for a mini dessert this Thanksgiving. This one is for you…
This is my mother’s pumpkin pie recipe, a classic that she learned from my grandmother. My grandmother’s ingredient list includes one of her favorite cooking measurements—the descriptor “scant”. This adjective, meaning “not quite full,” appears in her culinary vocabulary along with the word “heaping,” which “means more than full.”
When I shared grandma’s recipe measurements with Jamie, she laughed and told me that her sister had once given her a set of measuring spoons that included tiny spoons that measured “smidgen”, “pinch” and “dash”.
Don’t bother looking for measuring cups labeled “scant” or “heaping”. Just hold back a little when the recipe calls for “scant” and don’t level out the measuring cup when a recipe calls for “heaping.”
Happy Baking this Thanksgiving holiday!
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
- unbaked pie crusts or dough balls - 2 - 9
- pure pumpkin puree - 1 - 15oz. can
- evaporated milk - 1 - 12 oz. can
- sugar - 3/4 scant cup
- brown sugar - 1/4 scant cup
- eggs, beaten - 2
- cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- ground cloves - 1/4 teaspoon
- ground ginger - 1/4 teaspoon
- ground nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon
- fresh whipped cream - 8 ounces
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 60 mini muffin tins with Non-Stick Baking Spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Mix until smooth; set aside.
- Roll out one dough ball or one premade pie crust. Roll it out a bit thinner than you would a normal pie crust; approximately a 12-inch circle will do. Using a traditional 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, make 30 pastry circles. You will need to gather up the “scraps” and roll them out to make 30 total circles. Take the circles and gently push them evenly into the mini muffin tins. Repeat the same process with the second dough ball or premade pie crust.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the mini pie shells, being careful to not overfill the pastry cups. Bake on the center oven rack for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool mini pies completely and refrigerate until serving time. Dot with fresh whipped cream right before serving time.
Makes: 60 mini pumpkin pies