As part of our United Way Fundraising campaign at work, I decided to donate a Pie of the Month club for 6 months. It was a great way to generate money for a worthy organization and make a lucky donor happy for 6 months. In this case 5 awesome employees went together to purchase this prize for $170. All I can say is that “they must love pie”.
This month they chose Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. I have posted this recipe before but thought I would post again to remind you all what a great pie it is.
Need any ideas to generate money for a charity and make some people happy? Consider a pie of the month donation.
Have a great day!
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
2 9-inch unbaked pie shells*
2 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed and halved
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 egg while beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Place one pie shell in a pie plate and set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Place in prepared pie shell. Dot with butter.
- Roll out the second pie crust and place over filling. Crimp to seal edges. Brush with egg white wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place foil around edges and bake 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and reduce temperature to 375 degrees F for an additional 45 – 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly.
- Top with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream – YUMMY!