What does a Northern girl know about how to celebrate Mardi Gras? Probably not much, that is for sure. I’ve been to New Orleans once and know that when they say you should only have one hurricane they mean you should only have one!
Our friends, the DeAngelis, invited us to their Mardi Gras party this weekend. We were asked to bring a dish to share. So being a Baking Chick, I had to make something baked - duh. I tied my dessert into the theme by sprinkling these super rich, chocolate fudge brownies with the traditional Mardi Gras colors – purple, yellow and green. Maybe not your traditional King Cake, but equally as yummy and totally fun.
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
Mardi Gras Brownies
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
2/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 to 2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees F. Grease 9×13 pan: set aside.
- Blend butter, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl. Add eggs; using a wooden spoon, beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually blend into egg mixture. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Cool.
- To prepare frosting: Cream butter, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla in small mixer bowl. Add confectioners sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency.
- Frost brownies with Creamy Brownie Frosting