1) Scratch (Cake) Baking. People are inspired by the various food shows, especially Cake Boss and Cupcake Wars. Making your kid’s birthday cake is a challenge that people will be up for in 2012. Not only will you feel proud and accomplished, but you won’t have to pay bakery prices for your one of a kind special occasion cake.
2) Family Favorites with a Twist. People are going back to their roots but looking for new ways to freshen up the classics. Everyone has grown up with their favorite chocolate chip cookie, but who knew adding sea salt would make them so much better. Look for these heritage recipes with added flavors to take them to a whole new level.
3) Bars, Bars, Bars. All the dessert you need in a jelly roll pan, but without the fuss. Don’t have time to bake a dozen cookies? No worries, you can whip up a pan of cookies in a pan in no time. You’re kids will be fighting over the middle piece.
4) Sneakin’ in the Wheat. Healthy eating has been around for years, but hasn’t really made it into the baking realm and substituting wheat flour straight up won’t quite do the trick. Bakers will be learning the appropriate portion of white flour and wheat flour that will be incorporated into cookies, cinnamon rolls, quick breads, etc.
5) Veggies in dessert – tomato pie, zucchini bread, sweet potato pie. While most people really don’t care to eat all their vegetables, it’s hard to ignore this trend. More and more people are planting a garden and/or shopping at their local farmer’s market, resulting in an abundance of fresh vegetables. And the one thing a gardener cannot stand to do is waste any of their hard earned harvest, so you will see more and more of these good for you vegetables in pies, breads and cakes.
2012 will be the year that you take the plunge and make that cake for your kid’s birthday, experiment with your Mom’s favorite cookie recipe, make pan after pan of bars, sneak in a cup or two of whole wheat flour, and enjoy some good for you veggies in a yummy cake or pie.
Our cookbook, Two Chicks from the Sticks: Back Home Baking, has started reconnecting people with their favorite childhood memories. As a result, more people are stepping back into the kitchen and baking together as a family. Discovering that incredible feeling of accomplishment, reconnecting as a family, and creating memories. And that is the best trend of all.
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill