Sometimes a piece of pie makes everything better, especially when it’s made with the freshest ingredients. I wanted to make something for a dear neighbor who just lost a parent to a sudden heart attack. I knew I wanted to make a pie as pies are comforting and yummy. I just couldn’t decide what flavor till I walked into the grocery store and found these beautiful blueberries. When making fresh pies I usually turn to my old stand by cookbook the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. You can’t go wrong with their fresh fruit pie recipes — tried and true just like my mom makes them – YUMMY!
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
Fresh Blueberry Pie
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
5 cups fresh blueberries
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter
Pastry for a double Pie*
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, lemon peel, and salt. Add sugar mixture to blueberries; toss to coat fruit.
- Fill a pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate with blueberry mixture. Drizzle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Place top crust over berries, seal and flute edge.
- Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more till crust is golden. Cool on a wire rack.