“A classic Family Recipe is a powerful tool…” stated by Diamond’s The Gift to Gather Recipe Contest. That is exactly what this recipe is a “classic” for my family at Christmas, anyway. I love my family’s Christmas tradition….waking up in an old farm house, itching to go down the stairs at 5 in the morning to see what Santa has left under the Christmas tree, and walking into the kitchen to see what amazing Christmas treats my mom has prepared for breakfast. For me the smells coming from the oven Christmas morning were as exciting as the gifts under the tree and this Cranberry Pecan Pound Cake was one of them.
This recipe has the flavors of oranges, cranberries and Diamond Pecans. The pecans gives this pound cake a nice texture and flavor that rounds out a traditional cranberry pound cake recipe.
When baking for the holidays I like to buy my ingredients in bulk at the beginning of the season. To keep my pecans fresh I store them in an airtight container in the freezer and take out the amount I need for baking.
As I’m baking up traditions for my family for the holidays this will definitely be one of them. HAPPY HOLIDAY BAKING!
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
Cranberry Pecan Pound Cake
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Diamond Pecan Halves, chopped
l cup cranraisins
2 tablespoons buttter, soften
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Prepare bundt pan by buttering and flouring it, set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy, beat in eggs one at a time, add in sour cream, orange juice and orage peel and mix til smooth.
- In separate bowl sift flour and salt and slowly add to mixer on low speed. Once flour is added, take off mixer and fold in nuts and cranraisins.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and tap on counter to release air bubbles.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 min.
- Cool 10 min and then turn out on rack.
- To make icing: In small bowl, mix, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Min til smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.