What are you making your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day? My husband loves chocolate and cherry so I decided to incorporate the two into a heart shaped sandwich cookie. I took my husband’s favorite chocolate cookie recipe and tweaked the Two Chicks’ buttercream frosting recipe to include bits of maraschino cherries. Winner! It worked beautifully. Now I just hope he loves them too!
When rolling out the cookie dough I always roll my dough too thin and then have trouble with my cookies not being the desired thickness. So I started using these fabulous new DoStix to make sure my dough thickness is just right. They come in 1/2″, 1/4″ and 1/8″ thicknesses so that you are sure your dough is just the right thickness for whatever you are making. To find out more about DoStix products go to http://www.dostixonline.com/.
Top frosted cookie with another cookie to make a sandwich cookie. – ENJOY!
May you have an awesome Valentines Day full of sweet treats.
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
- butter, unsalted - 2 1/2 sticks
- sugar - 2 cups
- eggs - 2
- vanilla extract - 1 tablespoon
- cocoa powder - 3/4 cup
- all-purpose flour - 2 cups
- baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Maraschino Cherry Buttercream Frosting
- powdered sugar - 3 cups
- butter - 1 cup
- almond extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- Maraschino Cherry juice - 4 tablespoons
- Maraschino Cherries - 20, decided
- In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar and cream together with a hand mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the creamed mixture and mix until combined. In a medium bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients and continue mixing until incorporated.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once thoroughly chilled, roll the dough into floured surface to 1/4" thickness. Using heart shaped cookie cutter cut dough and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add almond flavoring and cherry juice continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more juice if needed for spreading consistency. Add diced cherries and mix til incorporated.
- Spread on cooled cookie. Top with another cooked cookie. ENJOY!