For Valentine’s Day I wanted to make a special pie for my husband. His favorite ice cream is Cherry-Chocolate Chunk. I thought there had to be a way to recreate those same flavors into one of his favorite desserts – PIE! I really think I came close with this recipe found on Taste of Home website. I tweaked it to include a chocolate graham cracker crust and chocolate chunks in the filling vs their toasted almonds to give the pie a little more chocolate flavor.
Hopefully this will inspire you to make your sweetie something special for this year’s Valentine’s Day.
Your favorite Chick from the North – Jill
- chocolate graham crackers crumbs - 1 1/2 cups
- butter - 1/4 cup, melted
- sugar - 1/3 cup
- sweetened condensed milk - 1 can (14 ounces), divided
- unsweetened chocolate - 1 ounce
- almond extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- maraschino cherries - 1 jar, (10 ounces), drained
- cream cheese - 1 package (8 ounces), softened
- cold water - 1 cup
- instant vanilla pudding - 1 package (3.4 ounces)
- heavy whipping cream - 2 cups
- sugar - 3 tablespoons
- Hershey's chocolate bar - 1 bar
- Combine all ingredients; press over bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 375° for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk and unsweetened chocolate until the chocolate is melted and mixture is thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract; set aside.
- Set aside eight whole cherries and 1/2 Hershey's bar for garnish. Chop the remaining cherries & chocolate bar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in water and remaining milk. Beat in pudding mix and remaining extract til pudding is thickened. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix til smooth (you will see chocolate specs); set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat whipping cream with 3 tablespoons sugar til stiff peaks form. Fold in 1/2 whipped cream into pudding mixture with chopped cherries and chocolate. Pour in cooled crust.
- Top with remaining whipped cream. Chill 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whole cherries and chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings